21+ Macrame Bracelet Patterns: How to Make Friendship Bracelets
Learn how to make friendship bracelets, macrame bracelets, and more!
We are adding the project to your Jewelry Box.
The project was added to your Jewelry Box.
Grab some embroidery floss, your best pal, and these free macrame bracelet patterns, and get ready to create some cool friendship bracelet designs for you and your BFF! Friendship bracelet patterns are probably how many of us first got started making our own jewelry. We all learned how to make friendship bracelets on the playground at school and had so much fun trading with our friends, right?
But macrame bracelet patterns aren't just for kids; they're fun for adults too. No matter what your age, you can always enjoy friendship bracelet designs, and these free friendship bracelet instructions are just what you need to get back into the craft. Macrame is such a versatile technique, and there are so many different friendship bracelet designs that can be made with it! We have more basic macrame bracelet patterns, like stripe and chevron designs, but we also have friendship bracelet instructions for more intricate designs, like hearts and daisies.
If you're just learning how to make friendship bracelets, you may want to stick with the more basic macrame bracelet patterns to start, and then move on to the more detailed friendship bracelet designs once you've gotten some practice. But don't worry! All of these friendship bracelet instructions are very thorough and easy to follow, so you'll have no problem creating amazing bracelet designs of your own. So grab some strings in your favorite colors, and check out all of our free friendship bracelet patterns below!
Table of Contents
What is Macrame?
Macrame, translated literally from French as “knot”, is the art of knotting together cords or string to create stunning patterns. You have probably been using this fun technique when you were at summer camp without even knowing what it was! Macrame is used for a variety of crafts, from summer friendship bracelets to boho chic wall art. This technique was extremely popular in the 1970s, but it’s definitely making a comeback in the jewelry world. The two most well-known knots for macramé include the square knot and the half knot, but there are numerous other knots that you can use to make your projects more intricate. To learn more about macramé knots, check out our guide for beginners!
What Do You Need to Make Macrame Bracelets? Basic Macrame Supplies
Ready to get started making macrame bracelets? Gather these supplies and you'll be ready to get started!
- You need a table (or hard surface) to work on. Note: if you traveling, or outdoors, a clipboard is a fabulous idea for a surface to use!
- Your cord or embroidery floss
- Tape or T-Pins to secure your cords
- Scissors (Optional addition: some jewelry making pliers)
- Optional: Beads!
Basic Macrame Bracelet Patterns
These free friendship bracelet patterns are some of the simpler, more basic friendship bracelet designs, but that doesn't mean they're any less cool! All of these macrame bracelet patterns are for straight bracelets (the zig-zag and squiggly friendship bracelet designs will come later in the "Intricate Friendship Bracelet Patterns" section!). If you don't yet know how to make friendship bracelets and are just getting started, these basic macrame bracelet patterns are the perfect place to start. The friendship bracelet instructions in these tutorials are very thorough and easy to follow, so you should have no problem at all creating these friendship bracelet designs! Feel free to switch up the colors or the number of strings for a different look that's all your own.
Love these friendship bracelet patterns? Check out this collection for even more amazing macrame patterns for you to try out and love! Have an Arm Party! 30 Stackable Bracelets to Make
Intricate Friendship Bracelet Patterns
Tired of the same old straight macrame bracelet patterns and ready to step it up with some more interesting DIY jewelry designs? Then check out the free friendship bracelet patterns we've collected for you here! Learn how to make friendship bracelets that zig and zag, that swerve and squiggle, and more! These macrame bracelet patterns are a bit more intricate than the ones in the "Basic Macrame Bracelet Patterns" section, but the friendship bracelet instructions you'll find here are just as clear and thorough as those, so you'll have no problem following along. These friendship bracelet designs are sure to impress, so be prepared because all your friends are going to want one!
Master the art of macrame with these 34 Fabulous Macrame Bracelet Patterns
Graphic Friendship Bracelet Patterns
If the "Intricate Friendship Bracelet Patterns" aren't challenging enough for you, then try these amazing free friendship bracelet patterns! Each of these macrame bracelet patterns incorporates tiny shapes or images into the design for an end product that will have your BFF wondering how in the world you made it! Follow these friendship bracelet instructions step by step to learn how to make friendship bracelets with adorable little hearts or daisies woven right into the pattern. These free friendship bracelet patterns are so cute, you'll leave them on all summer long.
Love the look of these friendship bracelets? Then we recommend these 29 Easy, Breezy Hemp Bracelet Patterns
Bonus! Extra Fun Friendship Patterns
If you have just not had enough macrame projects yet and are looking for even more, check out this awesome bonus bracelet pattern section. These are some extra fun DIY bracelet patterns that we squeezed into this collection for you to enjoy and love! From colorful jewelry projects to adorable food-inspired patterns, you will find your new favorite friendship bracelet pattern from this collection.
Ready to take your braiding skills to the next level? Check out these 24 Kumihimo Jewelry Patterns and Tutorials
Which friendship bracelet is your favorite?
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
- Budding Rose Beaded Macrame Bracelet
- 34 Fabulous Macrame Bracelet Patterns
- How to Macrame: 7 Must-Know Knots
- 29 Easy, Breezy Hemp Bracelet Patterns
- 24 Kumihimo Jewelry Patterns and Tutorials
- Multicolored Leaf Macrame Earrings
- Perpetual Purple Kumihimo Necklace Tutorial
- 21+ Macrame Bracelet Patterns: How to Make Friendship Bracelets
- Lovely Lavender Macrame Bracelet
- How to Make a Macrame Bracelet
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Estelia Pendant
- Chain and Pearls Bracelet
- Luminous Leather and Pearl Bracelet
- On the Go Pearl Necklace
- Dazzling Duchess-Worthy DIY Ring
- Gorgeous Jade Drop Earrings
- Skinny Crystal Right Angle Weave Bracelet
- Heavenly Pearl Dangle Earrings
- Nunn Design Jewelry Embroidery Kit
- Beach Stone Wire Wrapped Pendant
- 10 DIY Earrings, Chain Earrings, Metal Earrings, Wire Earrings, and More
- 12 Free Jewelry Projects to Make This Evening
- DIY Jewelry That Sparkles: 10 Crystal Jewelry Patterns!
- Easy DIY Bracelet Designs: 14 Ways to Make Bracelets
- How to Make a Necklace: 8 Beaded DIY Necklace Ideas
- How to Make a Ring: 9 Dazzling DIY Rings You'll Love
- How to Make Friendship Bracelets: 12 Fun Friendship Bracelet Patterns!
- Jewelry Making for Beginners: 11 Beginner Jewelry Projects
- Mother's Day Jewelry Gifts: 8 Free Jewelry Making Tutorials
- Upcycled Jewelry: 14 DIY Projects from Recycled Materials