DIY Jewelry: What Tools Do I Need to Start Making Jewelry?
Get started on your jewelry making with these pro tool tips!
We are adding the project to your Jewelry Box.
The project was added to your Jewelry Box.
You can't truly delve into a newfound hobby without investing in the proper tools first. This is especially true for beginner jewelry makers. You don't necessarily need the cream of the crop tools your first time creating a beaded bracelet; but, the stronger your investment in your jewelry making tools, the better your outcome will be for your DIY jewelry piece.
There is absoltuely no shame in mastering the basics when it comes to crafting homemade jewelry. It can even become more intimidating once you get all your supplies to even figure out how to organize your jewelry; or, quite honestly, which jewelry making ideas to even start creating.
To say the least, it can seem very daunting at first trying to understand what is and isn't necessary for your first time creating your own handmade jewelry. It can definitely be tricky trying to figure out what jewelry tools you actually need to start with, and which ones are going to be considered more luxury items that you don't really need. Don't worry though, these jewelry making tips and tricks will keep you on the right path, and lessen your confusion.
Jewelry Tools Guide: Must Have Jewelry Tools
It's always best to start with the basics! These are some must have DIY jewelry tools that can get you started. The different tools listed here are the different types of jewelry supplies that you will be using for almost every, if not all of the, different handmade jewelry pieces you will be crafting.
Must Have Jewelry Tools
- Wire cutters - for all your wire cutting needs
- Round nose pliers - used for bending wire and making loops
- Flat nose pliers - great for opening and closing jump rings, the flat pointed tip makes it easier to get into smaller spaces
- Crimping pliers - used for crimping metal or wire
- Assorted ear wires - used as the back to your earring
- Assorted clasps - used for connecting to ends of a DIY bracelet or necklace
- Assorted head pins and eye pins - used for creating connectors
- Strong adhesive - used for glueing
Once you've gathered these must have jewelry pieces you can start creating tons of different beginner jewelry projects.
Wait....there's more! Now that you have the tools, make sure to further master the basics with these pro beginner jewelry making tips. Plus, enjoy this free eBook of beginner jewelry projects! "Jewelry Making for Beginners: 11 Beginner Jewelry Projects" eBook
What Additional Jewelry Supplies You Need: Specialty Jewelry Supplies
Once you have completely mastered the basics, it is going to be very difficult not to move on to more challenging projects. Keep in mind that when you take the step from beginner to advanced that you might need to invest in some more jewelry making tools.
Specialty Jewelry Supplies
- Beading board - this can help you measure and estimate the different lengths of your jewelry projects
- Memory wire shears - these are specifically used for memory wire to keep from ruining your other wire cutters
- Metal hole punch - for when you need to punch holes in metal
- Anvil - used for flattening out metal or providing texture to metal
- Bead or pearl reamer - used for enlarging holes in beads or smoothing out their texture
- Wire pin vise - used for curling metal more smoothly
- Metal stamping tool - used to stamp different designs on metal
Be sure to test your skills once you've gotten these new tools. This tribal necklace tutorial is a fantastic starting point!
Beyond the Basics: Bonus Bead Guide
Beads can also easily become a major necessity when it comes to jewelry making, especially if you start to particularly fancy beaded jewelry. There are certain beads that are a good staple to have just in case you're looking to dabble in the art of beading.
Basic Bead Guide
- Acrylic beads - any type of bead that is made of plastic
- Bugle beads - similar to seed beads these are most commonly used in bead weaving
- Crystal/rhinestone beads - these are extremely shiny beads that are often used to add sparkle
- Pearls - there are freshwater pearls that come in an assortment of colors and coated glass pearls that are coated different shades of white
- Seed Beads - most often used for bead weaving
- Spacer beads - used inbetween different types of beads to make them stand out
Check out how to keep your beads organized, so that it is easier for you to tell them apart!
DIY jewelry crafting is quite addictive; so, it will be in your best interest to learn how to organize all your beautiful handmade pieces. How to Organize Your Jewelry
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Project of the Day
Stitch up a beautiful intricate design with this tutorial for a Stunning Beaded Zigzag Bracelet. This free jewelry pattern creates an… Continue reading: "Stunning Beaded Zigzag Bracelet"
11 Beginner Jewelry Projects
Beginner Beading Tutorials
Seed Beads Guide for Beginners
11 Free Seed Bead Patterns
No Sweat Beaded Bracelet
Easy Beebeecraft Tutorial on How to Make a Pair of Chip Gemstone Bead Chain Earrings
Rose Cluster Faux Perfume Bottle Necklace
Beebeecraft Tutorial on How to Make a Pair of Glass Pearl Dangle Earrings
14 DIY Bracelet Designs
30 Easy Bracelets To Make For Beginners
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Turquoise Teardrop Copper Necklace
- Sapphire Chandelier Earrings
- Beebeecraft Tutorial on How to Make a Pair of Glass Pearl Dangle Earrings
- Easy Beebeecraft Tutorial on How to Make a Pair of Chip Gemstone Bead Chain Earrings
- Beebeecraft Tutorials on how to Make Beautiful Glass Cabochon Bracelet
- 10 DIY Earrings, Chain Earrings, Metal Earrings, Wire Earrings, and More
- 12 Free Jewelry Projects to Make This Evening
- DIY Jewelry That Sparkles: 10 Crystal Jewelry Patterns!
- Easy DIY Bracelet Designs: 14 Ways to Make Bracelets
- How to Make a Necklace: 8 Beaded DIY Necklace Ideas
- How to Make a Ring: 9 Dazzling DIY Rings You'll Love
- How to Make Friendship Bracelets: 12 Fun Friendship Bracelet Patterns!
- Jewelry Making for Beginners: 11 Beginner Jewelry Projects
- Mother's Day Jewelry Gifts: 8 Free Jewelry Making Tutorials
- Upcycled Jewelry: 14 DIY Projects from Recycled Materials