Beginner Beading Tutorials: How to Peyote Stitch, Brick Stitch, Square Stitch and More
By: Kelly Spence, Editor, allfreejewelrymaking.com
We are adding the project to your Jewelry Box.
The project was added to your Jewelry Box.
So you want to be a beader, but you're not sure where to begin? Well, you've come to the right place. This collection of beading tutorials includes all of the most important and fundamental weaving techniques in the art of beadwork, so it's the perfect entry point to begin your beading journey.
There is a variety of ways to stitch or weave beads, and here we've rounded up beginner tutorials on some of the most essential techniques that you will want to learn if you are truly interested in learning how to bead DIY jewelry pieces. In this collection, you'll find tutorials for how to peyote stitch, how to brick stitch, how to square stitch, how to right angle weave, how to ladder stitch, and more.
Once you've mastered these basic beading fundamentals, you'll be ready to tackle different beading designs and patterns of all kinds. That's why we've also included some super simple beginner beading projects so that once you're feeling comfortable, you can put your skills to the test with some actual beaded jewelry patterns. Learn the stitches and then put them to use with this comprehensive collection of beading tutorials!
Table of Contents
How to Ladder Stitch
We recommend beginning with the ladder stitch. This might not be one of the more prevalent bead stitches on its own, but it does provide the base for other stitches such as brick and herringbone, so it's an important one to have in your repertoire. If you're a visual learner, follow along with the video tutorial. If you prefer written instructions, you might prefer to learn how to ladder stitch with the second tutorial provided. Then try incorporating your newfound skills into an actual jewelry project by trying the bracelet pattern provided.
Bead lovers beware: You're about to get lost in a mesmerizing collection of some of the best bead weaving patterns on the Web! Once you've tried all the beading patterns in this roundup, not only will you have an impressive jewelry collection, but you can definitely consider yourself a beading pro. 50 Best Free Bead Weaving Patterns
How to Brick Stitch
Next up is brick stitch, another very common and fundamental beadwork technique. You'll see this weave come up a lot as you begin to browse beaded jewelry patterns, so you'll definitely want to add this stitch to your skill set. This tutorial is accompanied by a helpful video component, so learning how to brick stitch should be a breeze. Get the basic stitch down first; then once you're comfortable, let loose a little by trying freeform brick stitch, and finish off by making a full brick stitch bracelet!
Loving these pretty peyote stitch patterns? Then you will adore our collection that is filleld with different peyote stitch designs. Whether you're new to peyote or know it like the back of your hand, there are peyote stitch patterns in this collection to inspire you to create. 23 Free Peyote Stitch Patterns
How to Peyote Stitch
Peyote stitch is one of the most popular beading techniques. Learn how to peyote stitch with this easy-to-follow, step-by-step tutorial, and you'll have the hang of it in no time. Once you've the technique and tension down, try tackling one of the easy peyote stitch bracelet patterns we've included below.
If you love these beading tutorials, be sure to check out our ultimate collection of stitching tutorials: 164 DIY Jewelry Making Tutorials: How to Brick Stitch, Peyote Stitch, Right Angle Weave, and More
How to Square Stitch
At this point, you might be wondering why you need to learn so many different flat bead weaving techniques, but they do each serve a separate purpose and function in beaded jewelry patterns! You'll want to learn how to square stitch for when you're creating a piece that needs a more grid-like structure, as the first beginner tutorial explains. Square stitch is also a more accessible alternative to loom weaving, as it has the same look but does not require the expensive equipment. Learn the fundamentals with either the first or second tutorial; then put them to practice with the square stitch bracelet pattern provided.
How to Right Angle Weave
If you like beadwork that looks a bit more open and airy, you'll want to learn how to right angle weave. This beading technique creates a grid of squares with space between the beads for a more "light and lacy" look. Right angle weave can be a bit more difficult to get the hang of, so follow along with the step-by-step photos provided in the first tutorial to understand the technique. Then try one of the beginner bracelet patterns incorporating right angle weave below after you've got it down.
What is your favorite stitching pattern?
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- Beginner Beading Tutorials: How to Peyote Stitch, Brick Stitch, Square Stitch and More
- "Jewelry Making for Beginners: 11 Beginner Jewelry Projects" eBook
- "Easy DIY Bracelet Designs: 14 Ways to Make Bracelets" eBook
- How to Make Bangles: 36 Bangle Bracelet Tutorials
- "12 Free Jewelry Projects to Make This Evening" eBook
- Forming Wire Wrapped Loops
- Bead Stringing Tutorial For Beginners
- Caged Bead Wire Wrapping Tutorial
- 16 Free Jewelry Making Projects for Beginners + 8 Basic Tips
- How to Make a Beaded Toggle Clasp
- 10 DIY Earrings, Chain Earrings, Metal Earrings, Wire Earrings, and More
- 12 Free Jewelry Projects to Make This Evening
- DIY Jewelry That Sparkles: 10 Crystal Jewelry Patterns!
- Easy DIY Bracelet Designs: 14 Ways to Make Bracelets
- How to Make a Necklace: 8 Beaded DIY Necklace Ideas
- How to Make a Ring: 9 Dazzling DIY Rings You'll Love
- How to Make Friendship Bracelets: 12 Fun Friendship Bracelet Patterns!
- Jewelry Making for Beginners: 11 Beginner Jewelry Projects
- Mother's Day Jewelry Gifts: 8 Free Jewelry Making Tutorials
- Upcycled Jewelry: 14 DIY Projects from Recycled Materials
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- DIY Colorful Macrame Cross Bracelet
- Chain and Stone Handpiece
- Octavia Spencer Inspired Earrings
- Crystal Tassel Earrings
- Quick and Easy Washi Tape Bangle Tutorial
- Beautiful Beading Patterns: 31 DIY Jewelry Projects in Green
- Princess Beaded Bracelet Pattern
- Entwined Pearl and Petal Bracelet
- How to Make Cluster Bead Earrings: 20 Ways