How to Make Paper Beads and Jewelry: 10 Tutorials
No money for beading supplies? No problem! Making paper beads is a great "green" alternative to buying beads at your local craft store and creates colorful, one-of-a-kind accessories. This guide, How to Make Paper Beads and Jewelry: 10 Tutorials, is the perfect way to dive into the world of recycled jewelry.
Recycled jewelry crafts are a fantastic "eco-chic" trend on the DIY jewelry scene that saves you money while also helping to save the Earth. It's a win-win! If you don't know how to make paper beads, don't worry! We've included three different tutorials below that show you how easy making paper beads can be. Once you learn how to make paper beads, you'll never run out of jewelry supplies again! You'll be able to whip up your own cute recycled paper beads any time you're in a bead drought.
After you've checked out the basic tutorials on how to make paper beads, you'll be ready to try your hand at making recycled paper jewelry! And you're in luck because we've also included five tutorials that show you different ways to turn your new paper bead making skills into fabulous accessories. What's the point of making paper beads if you don't know what to do with them, right? That's why we've collected these amazing tutorials, each of which uses paper beads in a fun and interesting way. So the next time you're headed to the recycle bin with those old newspapers and magazines, think twice! You could be holding a new necklace or bracelet in your hands!
Table of Contents
Paper Bead Pattern Printable
You can make beautiful paper beads is all sorts of shapes and sizes. Not sure where to start? Use this printable to cut out some stunning DIY paper beads. Then, tackle some of the impressive paper jewelry projects below!
Glazing Paper Beads
So, you want to learn how to make paper beads waterproof? If you're worried that your paper jewelry won't look as nice after a rainy day or because of typical wear and tear, then make sure to follow these steps to learn how to protect paper beads:
1. Grab your glue stick. While you are rolling the bead on the dowel, use some glue stick to keep the bead extra secure. You can either glue the edge/end tip of the paper when you are almost done rolling completely, or you can glue down the entire inner side of the paper as you roll.
2. Paint away. Taking a paper glaze or mod podge, paint each of your beads with a paint brush. Apply a thin coat, then wait for it to dry. Repeat this process several times!
Now your beads are sealed and ready to go for your paper jewelry! Bonus: not only will the varnish protect your paper beads, but they will also add a professional, shiny finish.
How to Make Paper Beads
First, learn the techniques behind making paper beads with one (or all) of these three tutorials. These easy tutorials give you step-by-step instructions on how to make paper beads using old magazines and newspapers. Each one is a little different, so check them all out to find which tutorial works best for you!
- This tutorial shows you how to make paper beads that are bright, bold, and colorful. By wrapping long strips of paper around a toothpick, you can create pretty paper beads that are cylindrical in shape. These beads are just as fun to make as they are to wear.Learn how to make fun paper beads for all of your jewelry making projects with this tutorial. Making paper beads is one of those jewelry making techniques that everyone uses because it's fun, easy, and versatile.
- Recycled Paper BeadsThis tutorial is slightly different from the other two in that it creates paper beads that are round rather than cylindrical. Rather than wrapping strips of paper, this tutorial shows you how to make paper beads by boiling recycled paper in a pot!
- How to Make Paper Beads Video TutorialIf you prefer to watch someone else as you learn, then check out this video tutorial on making paper beads. There are also written instructions included in case you get lost.Follow this How to Make Paper Beads Video Tutorial to learn how to make your own colorful and dynamic beads. Making beads with paper is the easiest way to create your own personalized jewelry!
How to Make Jewelry from Recycled Paper
Now that you've mastered the technique behind making paper beads, you're ready to learn how to make jewelry from recycled paper and paper beads! We've included five different recycled jewelry projects that use paper and paper beads in totally unique ways to create fabulous accessories. You'll find DIY necklaces, bracelets, and even a cute pair of paper bead earrings included among these tutorials, so take your pick from these fabulous recycled jewelry crafts!
- Cha Cha Paper Beads BraceletThis funky bracelet is a paper bead fiesta! Hook a bunch of paper beads onto a bracelet using wire head pins for a super fun effect.
- Glazed Paper Butterfly NecklaceThis Glazed Paper Butterfly Necklace project will bring out the artist in you. Draw your own unique design for the wings of this beautiful butterfly, and watch your handmade pendant come to life.
- Simple and Quick Paper Bead BraceletIf you're looking for a more simple and straightforward approach to displaying your new paper beads, try this basic bracelet tutorial. This easy strung bracelet is a good project for beginners.
- Totally different from the other paper jewelry tutorials in the collection, this necklace takes the concept of making paper beads in a whole new direction. Check out this project to learn a different way to use magazines to make jewelry.
- Anthropologie Knockoff Wire Triangle EarringsYou're saving tons of money when you try this tutorial. These Anthro knockoff earrings are so fun, fresh, and fashion-forward. They might take a little more effort that some of the other projects, but the end result is totally worth it. You'll love showing off these paper bead earrings!
- Recycled DIY Paper Necklace From money to notebooks, paper makes the world go round. Artists are now getting creative and making necklaces straight from paper! A Recycled DIY Paper Necklace is the next big (and cheapest) project.
What is your favorite jewelry to make with paper beads?
Read NextRolled Duct Tape Bead Bracelet