How to Make Paper Beads Video Tutorial
Follow this How to Make Paper Beads Video Tutorial to learn how to make your own colorful and dynamic beads. Making beads with paper is the easiest way to create your own personalized jewelry!
Project TypeLearn a Technique
Time to CompleteUnder an hour
- Old magazines
- Glue/glue stick
- Mod Podge/Diamond Glaze
- Round toothpicks
- Small paint brush
- Piece of Styrofoam
- Using your ruler and pen, mark your magazine page at half inch intervals across the page at the top and bottom.
- Connect the marks and draw long half inch rows.
- Align the ruler with the top right corner of the first row and then angle the ruler to meet the lower left corner of the same row. Draw a line. This divides the long row into 2 triangular pieces. It is this triangle that we will use to make our beads.
- Once your lines are drawn, cut them out. Note: One half inch beads are a good start. Beads can be made in many widths.
- Using your round toothpick, “condition” the widest part of the long strip by gently rubbing. This should curl the paper up a bit. Position the paper strip along the middle of the round toothpick and begin to roll the paper onto itself. Once up a bit, apply a small amount of glue to the paper so that once rolled, it adheres to itself. Continue rolling the paper up centering it. Once you have several inches of “tail” left, apply glue to the tail and finish rolling up until secure.
- Stick toothpick with completed bead into Styrofoam. Continue making as many beads as you wish.
- Finishing: Using a small paint brush and either Mod Podge or Diamond Glaze, apply several thin coats to the bead (making sure not to glue to the toothpick).
- Wait for the medium to dry thoroughly.
- Your beads are ready to use!
Note: Different shape beads can be made using the same method but different shapes/lengths of paper.
Tubular Beads can be made by using the long vertical strips.
Circular Beads can be made by using 3 sheets of magazine pages glued together to form a super long (if one page is 11 inches – 3 pages is 33 inches, less glued edge).
Read NextPaper Bead Pattern Printable