How to Use a Jump Ring Opener
This basic technique video will show you how to open and close a jump ring using a handy tool called a jump ring opener. This is one of the simple fundamentals you'll use again and again when making jewelry at home. Using a tool like this is a great alternative to using two pairs of pliers to open and close jump rings.
Project TypeLearn a Technique
- a jump ring opener
- a pair of chain-nose or flat-nose pliers
- a jump ring
- Hold one side of the jump ring with your pliers.
- Insert the other side of the jump ring in one of the opener's slots. There are several slots to accommodate various jump ring sizes.
- Twist the jump ring open by bringing your pliers toward you.
- To close the jump ring, repeat the last three steps, but twist in the opposite direction. It may take several twists back and forth to close the jump ring all the way. You will hear a clicking sound when it is closed properly.