Cowrie Shell Hemp Earrings
Looking for free jewelry making projects for the summer? These Cowrie Shell Hemp Earrings are the perfect wear to the beach earrings. Did you think hemp was just for DIY bracelet patterns? You'll be thinking again once you make these fabulous homemade earrings. Complete any summer or vacation-worthy look with these ocean-inspired earrings. Get your beach look on, and craft these DIY earrings for summer. Just making them will get you in the mood for sandals and shorts.
Project TypeMake a Project
Time to CompleteUnder an hour
Bead Project TypeEarrings
- 5mm hemp cording
- Two cowrie shells with drilled holes
- Four small wooden beads
- Two ear wires
- A pair of scissors
- A ruler
- A clipboard
- Measure and cut two 12” strands of hemp. Fold the strands in half and thread one end through an ear wire loop. Center the strands on the ear wire.
- Clip your ear wire to the clipboard. Separate the strands into three groups: two strands will be in the center and be referred to as the core strands. The two single strand groups will be at either side and be referred to as the working strands.
- Make two square knots. To make a square knot, take the left strand and bring it over the core strands, forming an “L” shaped loop on the left. Take the right strand and bring it over the left strand, under the core strands, and through the loop on the left. Pull to tighten. Now take the right strand and bring it over the core strands. Take the left strand and bring it over the right strand, under the core strands, and through the loop on the right. Pull to tighten. You've just completed your first square knot.
- Make a reverse square knot. To make this knot, just replace the working strands with the core strands and tie a square knot.
- String a bead on both of the working strands. Make a square knot, a reverse square knot, and two more square knots.
- Tie an overhand knot with your working strands. String the shell on your core strands. Tie a double knot with your working strands and core strands.
- Tuck away the hemp cording in your shell and trim excess cording. Repeat all steps for the second earring.
Read NextMiyuki Bead Macrame Bracelets