Pearl Jewelry: How to Wear Pearls
By: Eugenia Kang, Editor, AllFreeJewelryMaking
We are adding the project to your Jewelry Box.
The project was added to your Jewelry Box.
Pearl jewelry has always been a classic accessory, worn by iconic celebrities like Audrey Hepburn and Princess Diana to give off an elegant, sophisticated vibe. You don’t need to be in a formal dress to rock those pearls, though! This guide on Pearl Jewelry How to Wear Pearls will show you how to wear pearls for every occasion and look absolutely fantastic. While you might think that pearls are reserved just for vintage, formal looks, there are plenty of ways to wear pearls in a more modern style. Everyone from Rihanna to Lady Gaga have incorporated these timeless accessories into their fashion, and there are so many ways that you can, too! Whether you want simple minimalist earrings to feel gorgeous without being over-the-top, or a big, statement necklace to grab everyone’s attention, pearl jewelry is the way to go.
There’s a lot more to pearl jewelry than that vintage necklace passed down from grandma! From adorable pearl drop earrings to quirky, colorful beaded bracelets, the possibilities for pearl jewelry are endless. This guide will get you beyond excited about pairing pearl pieces with your outfits. You will learn how to wear pearls without looking old-fashioned and what kind of clothes would go well with pearls for different occasions. Follow these tips and tricks on how to wear pearls for any and every situation; and, you’ll be rocking some affordable pearl jewelry in no time.
How to Wear Pearls Casually
Want to dust off those pearls and wear them with your everyday outfits? No problem. To avoid looking old-fashioned, the key is to layer on the pearls. Layer different length necklaces with varying pearl sizes to put a twist on the classic pearl necklace look. For example, layering this Pearls and Chains Layered Necklace with something like this Pearls of Wisdom Necklace and this On the Go Pearl Necklace will look chic rather than old-fashioned. If you want a one-and-done look without having to grab more than one necklace, try this Lovely Layered DIY Necklace (pictured). Tip: pair layered necklaces with a simple top to avoid clashing. Wearing a solid colored shirt or dress will make your accessories stand out! Layered pearls will look lovely with everything from a work suit to a casual cardigan.
How to Wear Pearls in a Trendy Way
Mixing pearls with other materials are great ways to modernize this classic accessory. Chokers have been all the rage, and combined with pearls, will give casual outfit a runway-worthy touch. Check out this Clever Clay Pearl Choker for inspiration! As long as the material or chain is more modern, pearl chokers will keep your outfits on point. Mixing gold accents or chains with pearls is always gorgeous. Plus, it helps tone down the formality of pearls! Pearl jewelry pieces like these Embellished Pearl Earrings (pictured) and this JCrew Inspired Pearl Necklace are cute and informal enough to pair even with a plain t-shirt! Since the pearls are combined with other materials and embellishments, it puts a modern twist on these jewelry pieces. For a quirky, adorable accessory that’s super trendy, try these Bow and Pearls Earrings! Since little bow accents are in, this combo is a sure-fire way to keep your pearls trendy.
You've already spent enough on your dress and wedding. No need to splurge on your jewelry thanks to this collection of
How to Wear Pearls Formally
Pearls are great to have on hand because they look appropriate at formal dinners, galas, and even on your wedding day! Just make sure that for these more formal events, your pearl jewelry isn’t so bold that it steals the spotlight. If it’s a black-tie event, going with a simple pearl necklace never goes wrong. This simple Peach Freshwater Pearl Necklace would go perfectly with a formal dress because it wouldn’t be too attention-drawing. And if you want to go the traditional route on your wedding day and wear pearls, just make sure that they are the same shade as your dress. Pearl jewelry pieces like this Bridal Flower Pearl Necklace and these Wintry White Crystal and Pearl Earrings are gorgeous enough for a bride.
Can't get enough pearls? We can't either! So feast your eyes on these 14 Pretty Pearl Jewelry Patterns for Every Occasion
What is your favorite way to wear pearls?
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- How to Rock a Choker
- How to Make Chokers: Leather Chokers, Beaded Chokers and More
- "Jewelry Making for Beginners: 11 Beginner Jewelry Projects" eBook
- Beginner Beading Tutorials: How to Peyote Stitch, Brick Stitch, Square Stitch and More
- "Easy DIY Bracelet Designs: 14 Ways to Make Bracelets" eBook
- "12 Free Jewelry Projects to Make This Evening" eBook
- How to Make a Pendant: 45 DIY Pendant Projects
- How to Make Bangles: 36 Bangle Bracelet Tutorials
- 16 Free Jewelry Making Projects for Beginners + 8 Basic Tips
- No Sweat Beaded Bracelet
- 10 DIY Earrings, Chain Earrings, Metal Earrings, Wire Earrings, and More
- 12 Free Jewelry Projects to Make This Evening
- DIY Jewelry That Sparkles: 10 Crystal Jewelry Patterns!
- Easy DIY Bracelet Designs: 14 Ways to Make Bracelets
- How to Make a Necklace: 8 Beaded DIY Necklace Ideas
- How to Make a Ring: 9 Dazzling DIY Rings You'll Love
- How to Make Friendship Bracelets: 12 Fun Friendship Bracelet Patterns!
- Jewelry Making for Beginners: 11 Beginner Jewelry Projects
- Mother's Day Jewelry Gifts: 8 Free Jewelry Making Tutorials
- Upcycled Jewelry: 14 DIY Projects from Recycled Materials
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Brick Stitch DIY Beaded Hoop Earrings
- Wire Wrapped DIY Fruit Pendants
- Blue Kumihimo DIY Braided Friendship Bracelet
- Beaded DIY Fruit Pendant
- Copper and Gold Necklace
- Two Tone Gold Clay Cuff
- Bra Wires into Boho Necklaces
- String Art Pendant or Brooch
- Stunning Dragonfly Ear Cuff Tutorial
- Spooky Halloween Ear Cuff Tutorial