Darn Good Yarn Reclaimed Sari Ribbon
We are adding the project to your Jewelry Box.
The project was added to your Jewelry Box.
Darn Good Yarn Reclaimed Silk Sari Ribbon
Gifted by Darn Good Yarn
Reviewed by Maggie Flynn, Editor, AllFreeJewelryMaking
“It's not your grandma's yarn,” Darn Good Yarn proclaims of their recycled products. And they're right. The Maine-based company was founded by Nicole Snow, who decided to "unwind with yarn" after leaving the U.S. Air Force. In 2008, she founded Darn Good Yarn to produce unique yarn and help women in Nepal and India who struggled with poverty make a better living for themselves and their families. Workers for the company receive a wage that allows them to support their families and let their children receive an education, and they are selected for their skill in spinning the gorgeous strands of the silk-sari yarn that is just so darn good.
The richly hued strands of Darn Good Yarn's 5-Yard Reclaimed Silk Sari Ribbon can produce anything from a lightly textured fabric to rich woven jewelry. But if you're stumped for ideas, Darn Good Yarn provides some free patterns on their website for projects made from the yarn types. Among those projects are friendship bracelets that positively shimmer, and it's easy to see how the recycled ribbon strands would make a beautiful woven or braided bracelet.
But there are many other ways to make jewelry with this Reclaimed Silk Sari Ribbon. You can make a lovely necklace with a simple chain and beads. Crocheted jewelry can also be transformed by using the recycled silk in place of heavier fiber strands. Overall, the jewel-colored tones of the yarn lend themselves well to beadwork. With so many different colors to choose from, you'll never be at a loss for DIY jewelry inspiration when you have Darn Good Yarn at hand.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Project of the Day
Have cute, colorful beads and craft wire? Then you can make these Vibrant Wire Wrapped Stud Earrings. It will only take you five… Continue reading: "Vibrant Wire Wrapped Stud Earrings"
Premo! Sculpey Accents Clay Color Sampler and Essential Tool Kit
Chance to Win a Beadalon Wire Jewelry Making Kit!
Nunn Design Winter 2014 Collection
Win an i-loom!
Chance to Win a SpeedyJig Pro Kit!
Chance to Win a Dollar Bead Club Monthly Bead Box!
Chance to Win a Pair of Tronex Jewelry Pliers!
Chance to Win a Copy of Jewelry Designer Manager Software!
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Teardrop Necklace and Earring Set
- Beebeecraft Wire Wrapped Design--How to Make Bracelet with Beads and Wire
- Beebeecraft Tutorial on How to Make Beaded Dangling Hoop Earrings
- Beebeecraft Original DIY - How to Make Beaded Chain Tassel Earrings
- Turquoise Teardrop Copper Necklace
- Sapphire Chandelier Earrings
- Beebeecraft Tutorial on How to Make a Pair of Glass Pearl Dangle Earrings
- Easy Beebeecraft Tutorial on How to Make a Pair of Chip Gemstone Bead Chain Earrings
- 10 DIY Earrings, Chain Earrings, Metal Earrings, Wire Earrings, and More
- 12 Free Jewelry Projects to Make This Evening
- DIY Jewelry That Sparkles: 10 Crystal Jewelry Patterns!
- Easy DIY Bracelet Designs: 14 Ways to Make Bracelets
- How to Make a Necklace: 8 Beaded DIY Necklace Ideas
- How to Make a Ring: 9 Dazzling DIY Rings You'll Love
- How to Make Friendship Bracelets: 12 Fun Friendship Bracelet Patterns!
- Jewelry Making for Beginners: 11 Beginner Jewelry Projects
- Mother's Day Jewelry Gifts: 8 Free Jewelry Making Tutorials
- Upcycled Jewelry: 14 DIY Projects from Recycled Materials