Knock Off Phillip Lim Rope Necklace
In this wonderful project from Donatella, you can be stylish and thrifty all at the same time. Using inspiration from knot making for jewelry, she copied this Knock Off Phillip Lim Rope Necklace perfectly. No one would ever be able to tell!
Project TypeMake a Project
Time to CompleteWeekend project
- black rope - 12 ft
- white rope - 8 ft
- yellow neon rope - 4 ft
- yellow neon mason twine (don't know exactly, but to be on the safe side, I would say 15 ft)
- 6 jumprings
- Two pieces of chain, the big rings one about 4" and the smaller about 5"
- 8 end caps with ring on top
- A flame
- Glue gun
- Cut the black rope in 3 parts,
- Cut one 7" piece of the yellow rope and keep the rest as is.
- Cut the white rope in half.
- Burn the end of the ropes so they won't fray.
- Braid the white, the black and the yellow/black lanyards.
- Now, get the yellow 7" piece, and the mason twine, melt the two ends together while holding with the pliers.
- Coil the mason twine around the rope until you reach the end of the 7" (you can use the help of the glue gun in tiny drops here and there to have the coil to stay in place).
- Wrap around again, but this time in a random way, leaving a little "messy looking".
- Keep wrapping until the end and finish it with a drop of glue.
- Take the 3 pieces of lanyard, cut the tails short, hold the lanyard with pliers at the tails and melt the ends (I sewed the tails in the white one since it's cotton and it wouldn't melt).
- Get the end caps, put some hot glue on the tip of the lanyard and place it into the end caps (the metal will get really really hot, so better to handle the caps with the pliers... learned the "hot" way).
- Once all the pieces have their end caps at both ends, start connecting them with the jumprings. The sequence is: yellow/black+black+small chain+white+yellow+big chain.
- The length is enough to wrap around my neck twice, but I decided to add a clasp between the black/yellow and the big chain, just to put it on and off easier, anyway: clasp is optional.
Read NextMiami Heat Neon DIY Necklace