How to Make a Nautical Rope Necklace
Learn how to make a nautical rope necklace that's perfect for summer! Nautical style accessories and clothes come back into style every Spring and Summer, be ready this year with this simple necklace you can make in under an hour!
Project TypeMake a Project
Time to CompleteUnder an hour
Bead Project TypeNecklace
- White nylon cording
- A ruler
- Pendant with a bail or a jump ring (optional)
- Measure and cut four 84” (7 feet) strands of nylon cording. Tip: It's easier to measure one strand using a ruler and use that strand as a guide to measure the rest of the strands.
- Taking each of the strands, tie an overhand knot 1-2” away from one end.
- Group the four strands together and make an overhand knot about 6” away from one end. Tip: Pull individual strands to tighten the knot.
- Clip your work to the clipboard, just above the knot you created. Separate the strands into two groups with two strands in each group.
- Now here comes the special knot to create your rope. It's called the double chain knot. Taking your left group, bring it over and under your right group and then through the loop you created. Pull to tighten. Leave the left group on the left. Now take the right group and bring it over and under your left group and through the loop you created. Pull to tighten. You just created the double chain knot. Continue knotting until you reach about 16”.
- Make an overhand knot right after your last double chain knot. Now taking each of the strands, tie an overhand knot about 6” away from the overhand knot you just created.
- You can leave you necklace as a simple rope, or you can add a pendant. Using a pair of pliers, attach your pendant bail or jump ring to the center of your necklace.