Snazzy Chainmaille Ring
This Snazzy Chainmaille Ring is an easy-to-make stylish DIY ring. With only nine easy steps needed to make this chic piece, you will be wearing your ring in no time. Since the band is made of chain, this statement ring is both unique and trendy. It will also make a great addition to any gift. You can wear this ring casually during the day or with a smart outfit for a night out on the town with your friends.
Project TypeMake a Project
Time to CompleteUnder an hour
Bead Technique UsedChainmail/Wirework
Bead Project TypeRing
- 7 rings, size T18 BRNZ (18g 3/8″ / 9.5 mm) for large bronze rings
- 2 rings, size I18 BRNZ (18g 13/64″ / 5.2 mm) for medium bronze rings
- 12 – 20 rings, size C20 SSTL (20g 7/64″ / 2.8 mm) for tiny steel rings
- 5-10 rings, misc 18ga SSTL sizes for small steel rings (for band). Recommended: between size F18 (18g 5/32″ / 4.0 mm) and I18 (18g 13/64″ / 5.2 mm). See TIP at end of instructions.
1. Scoop a large bronze ring with a medium bronze and close. Close the large bronze ring, too.
2. With a new open large bronze, begin to create a möbius unit: weave through the medium bronze ring and then cross through the first large bronze as well. Close the second large ring.
3. With a new large bronze, repeat step 2, except this time weave through both the previous large rings, and close.
4. Continue adding large rings, being sure to go through the medium bronze and all previous large bronze rings, until all 7 large rings have been added.
5. Weave a new medium bronze through all 7 large bronze rings and close.
6. Now create the band. With an 18ga steel ring, scoop up 2 tiny steel rings. Weave through the bronze ring from step 5, and close the steel ring. Close the tiny steel rings, too.
7. With a new 18ga steel ring, scoop up 2 new tiny steel rings and weave through the previous tiny rings from step 6. Close all the steel rings.
8. Repeat step 7 until your band can just about reach all the way around your finger.
9. Add one final steel ring through the previous 2 tiny rings, but instead of scooping up 2 new steel rings, weave the steel ring through the first bronze ring from step 1. Be sure not to twist the band as you do so.
TIP: You might need to replace one or more of the 18ga rings you used for the band with a slightly smaller or larger ring. Play around until you’ve got the perfect fit.