Practice beading the cellini spiral and use the stunning beadwork as a focal for a chain necklace.
We are adding the project to your Jewelry Box.
The project was added to your Jewelry Box.
If you are looking for a way to showcase a stunning piece of beadwork, you’ll adore this pattern for the Whirlpool Necklace, which features a cellini spiral focal. To make this necklace, you will bead a cellini spiral rope, which is a variation of the ever-popular tubular peyote stitch. Although this twisting and twirling bead weaving stitch looks incredibly intricate, you may be surprised to find you will follow a simple even-count peyote pattern. Once you finish the cellini spiral, you can show it off on a chain necklace.
Project TypeMake a Project
Time to CompleteIn an evening
Bead Technique UsedStitched
Bead Project TypeNecklace
- XCR-1285 - FireLine Braided Beading Thread, 4lb Test and 0.005 Thick, 15 Yards, Smoke Gray
- JK-00009 - Exclusive Beadaholique Toho Seed Bead Palette, Round Mix, 32 Grams, Tide Pool
- CHA-99954 - Antiqued Silver Plated Slim Rolo Chain 2mm Bulk By The Foot
- CHA-9987 - Antiqued Silver Plated Bubble Circle Chain 4.3mm - Bulk By The Foot
- FHP-6267 - Silver Plated Open Eye Pins 22 Gauge 2 Inch (x50)
- BMB-3635 - TierraCast Fine Silver Plated Pewter Bell Flower Bead Caps 11.5mm (x 2)
- FCL-2540 - Antiqued Silver Plated Sleek Lobster Claw Clasps 15mm (6)
- FJR-3094 - Antiqued Silver Plated Open Jump Rings 6mm 18 Gauge (50)
Need to brush up on your peyote stitch skills? Check out this collection of free patterns for even-count, odd-count, tubular, and even more peyote techniques. 24 Free Peyote Stitch Patterns
This necklace measures 20 inches total. To modify the size, adjust the number of beads woven or adjust the length of chain on each side respectively.
Please watch the video: How to Do A Cellini Spiral in Bead Weaving. Using what you have learned in the video, begin by cutting 4 feet of beading thread, or as much as you feel comfortable working with. Also string on your size 12 needle.
Pick up your first row of beads with your needle in this order: Four 15/0 hematite, Two 11/0 green, Two 11/0 white, Two 8/0 blue, Two 11/0 white, Two 11/0 green. Pull the beads down your thread, leaving a 12 inch tail. Bring the two sides of the thread together and tie a double overhand knot. Trim your thread.
Take your needle and go through two of your 15/0 hematite beads. You are now ready to begin your bead weaving as seen in the video. As you work, you will need to tie off and add new thread. Weave until you have a 7 inch long cellini spiral.
Now watch the video: How to Make a Necklace With a Cellini Spiral Focal. Using the techniques shown in this video, weave 4 additional rows of 15/0 beads to taper the end of your bead weaving into a tube shape. Tie off, cut, and weave in your thread. Using the 12 inch tail of thread, repeat this step on the other side of your cellini spiral.
To assemble your necklace, begin by using flush cutters to cut two 6 inch lengths of bubble chain. Set aside.
Then cut 6.5 inches of 2mm rolo chain and attach the loop of one eye pin onto the end of the chain by opening the loop as you would a jump ring, and close the loop over the chain link.
Now string one 8/0 seed bead, one cap, and another 8/0 seed bead onto your eye pin, and create a wrapped wire loop onto one 6 inch length of bubble chain.
Next, slide the 2mm chain through the center of your beaded focal, eye pin first, as shown in the video. Then repeat the above step to assemble the other side of your necklace.
To attach your clasp, open a jump ring. Slide it through the last link on one side of the chain, and also slide on the loop of your clasp. Close the jump ring.
Open another jump ring. Slide on the last link of chain on the other side of the necklace. Close the jump ring. Enjoy your necklace!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
- Pastel Waves Peyote Stitch Pattern
- Peyote Stitch Beaded Earrings
- Color Block Bracelet
- Learn How to Peyote Stitch: Even Count, Odd Count and Tubular
- 24 Free Peyote Stitch Patterns
- Spiral Peyote
- How to Peyote Stitch
- Glittering Diamonds Bracelet
- 2 Drop Peyote Cuff Bracelet
- Intarsia Peyote Stitch Bracelet
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Beebeecraft Tutorials On Making Red Pompon Earrings
- Beebeecraft Tutorials On Making A Pink Pearl Bracelet
- Beebeecraft Tutorials on Making a Pair of Pearl Earrings
- Beebeecraft Tutorials on Making a Round Pearl Necklace Pendant
- Beebeecraft Tutorial on Making a Pair of Pearl Earrings
- Leather Earrings
- Beebeecraft Tutorials on Making Your Own Fresh and Cute Beaded Drop Earrings
- Beebeecraft Tutorials on Making Heart-pattern Leather Necklace with Pearl Beads
- Beebeecraft Tutorials on Making Starfish-pendant Necklace with Pearl Beads and Crystal Beads
- Beebeecraft Tutorials on How to Make Earrings with Glass Beads and Pearl Beads
- 10 DIY Earrings, Chain Earrings, Metal Earrings, Wire Earrings, and More
- 12 Free Jewelry Projects to Make This Evening
- DIY Jewelry That Sparkles: 10 Crystal Jewelry Patterns!
- Easy DIY Bracelet Designs: 14 Ways to Make Bracelets
- How to Make a Necklace: 8 Beaded DIY Necklace Ideas
- How to Make a Ring: 9 Dazzling DIY Rings You'll Love
- How to Make Friendship Bracelets: 12 Fun Friendship Bracelet Patterns!
- Jewelry Making for Beginners: 11 Beginner Jewelry Projects
- Mother's Day Jewelry Gifts: 8 Free Jewelry Making Tutorials
- Upcycled Jewelry: 14 DIY Projects from Recycled Materials