Basic Ladder Stitch Video Tutorial
New to beading? Watch this video to learn the basic ladder stitch! It's a simple beading technique that, once mastered, will allow you to create all kinds of beautiful beaded jewelry designs. Follow along with this tutorial, and you'll be a pro in no time!
Project TypeLearn a Technique
Time to CompleteUnder an hour
Bead Technique UsedStitched
- beading needle
- beading thread (I used Wildfire in black for demonstration)
- beads of your choice (I used Miyuki 4mm square cube beads)
Note: Square beads, cube beads, or beads with flat sides are easier to learn the ladder stitch.
- Stopper bead: Take a bead (different color is best) and thread, bringing the bead towards the end of your thread. Thread again in the same direction and pull tight. This forms a temporary stopper bead. This bead will be able to slide up and down the thread.
- Place two beads on your thread and lower toward the stopper bead. Thread through the bead nearest the stopper bead (same direction as previous) and pull tight. This should “stack” the beads on top of each other. Finish this step by threading through the top bead to secure.
- Take another bead and lower on your thread. Notice which side of the last bead the thread is on. Place your needle in the opposite side and tighten. This will, again, stack the bead on top of the “ladder." Thread through the top bead and tighten.
- Continue step 3 until you reach your desired length.
Read NextOvals and Onyx Beaded Necklace