Catherine Fox, Eclectic Designs
We are adding the project to your Jewelry Box.
The project was added to your Jewelry Box.
It's not often you can play around with colors, textures, light, and shape every day, but it is entirely possible when you do jewelry making. Interior and fashion designers do it on a much grander scale, yes it's true, but I can make unique pieces of jewelry in a single day—even a crazy busy day!
I started making jewelry when my aunt gave my sisters a bead loom and a macramé kit. Jewelry was the natural thing to create from these tools, and after receiving a teeming supply of beads as a birthday gift, I was hooked.
I built my jewelry-making skills up by way of Internet tutorials. This was back in 2002, mind you, so jewelry-making books and online tutorials weren't as plentiful as they are today! I would print out as many tutorials as I could find and compile them into binders—sort of like making my own how-to book. It worked for me and probably gave me a better chance to get creative.
As a way to earn money, I began selling my jewelry in a craft room that adjoins my family's roadside vegetable market. As countless friendship bracelets, floating illusions necklaces, and earrings were bought, my motivation to learn more and share what I knew grew.
In 2009, I dove into something I'd never done before—uploading videos to YouTube—and I started out with jewelry-making tutorials. Since I was self-taught and had been doing the craft for seven years, I knew what beginners were looking for. So I made sure to include answers to nagging questions I originally had—things like how to crimp beads properly or how to finish off necklaces. Simple questions, but oh, if they are answered and answered well, it makes all the difference for a novice!
I was excited when Favecrafts.com approached me about my jewelry-making videos. They liked what I was creating and asked me to send in projects and techniques for their Web site and YouTube channel. And that's where I am now: working with Favecrafts and AllFreeJewelryMaking.com—their sister site—helping people find enjoyment in a pastime that not only gives you a chance to make accessories to wear, but also a lively community and a way to display your inner designer.
Catherine's YouTube Channel
Projects on AllFreeJewelryMaking.com:
Chain of Hearts Bracelet
Cowrie Shell Hemp Earrings
Crystal Chandelier Earrings Tutorial
DIY Braided Hemp Anklet
Easy Lace Earring Tutorial
Ecuador-Inspired Fiesta Bead Bracelet
Four Leaf Clover Pendant
Girly Crystal Flower Necklace
How to Attach Fold-Over Crimp Ends
How to Attach Ribbon Crimps
How to Make a Nautical Rope Necklace
How to Make Feather Earrings
How to Prevent Beads from Spilling
How to Stitch a Beaded Heart Pendant
How to Use a Jump Ring Opener
Pressed Flower Pendant Video Tutorial
Quick Wire Christmas Tree Earrings
Salt Dough Heart Pendants
Silver, Gold, and Pearl Holiday Dove Necklace
Simple Beaded Colors of Christmas Bracelet
Wire-Wrapped Berry Ring Tutorial
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
- Beebeecraft Tutorials On Making A Pink Pearl Bracelet
- Julia Ann Cain, Oh Julia Ann
- Kirsten Nunez, Wild Amor
- Rebecca Utermohlen, My Girlish Whims
- Gloria Uhler, Domestic Diva
- Erin Pruckno, Thanks, I Made It
- Allison Cooling, The Quiet Lion
- Laura Piantanida
- Sandra D. Halpenny
- Mylene Hillam, Mill Lane Studio
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Bead And Wood Patriotic Pendant
- Beebeecraft Tutorials On How To Make Crystal Wide Bracelet
- Beebeecraft Tutorials On How To Make Flower Organza Asymmetric Earrings
- Beebeecraft Tutorials On How To Make Beaded Pearl Bracelet
- Beebeecraft Tutorials On How To Make Wave Beaded Bracelet
- Beebeecraft Tutorials On How To Make Braided Faux Suede Bracelet
- Beebeecraft Tutorials On How To Make Ancient Pearl Beads Bracelet
- Hero Unisex Bracelet
- Water Beads Cluster Earrings
- Vintage-look Amethyst & Pearl Dangle Bracelet
- 10 DIY Earrings, Chain Earrings, Metal Earrings, Wire Earrings, and More
- 12 Free Jewelry Projects to Make This Evening
- DIY Jewelry That Sparkles: 10 Crystal Jewelry Patterns!
- Easy DIY Bracelet Designs: 14 Ways to Make Bracelets
- How to Make a Necklace: 8 Beaded DIY Necklace Ideas
- How to Make a Ring: 9 Dazzling DIY Rings You'll Love
- How to Make Friendship Bracelets: 12 Fun Friendship Bracelet Patterns!
- Jewelry Making for Beginners: 11 Beginner Jewelry Projects
- Mother's Day Jewelry Gifts: 8 Free Jewelry Making Tutorials
- Upcycled Jewelry: 14 DIY Projects from Recycled Materials