How to Rock a Choker
We are adding the project to your Jewelry Box.
The project was added to your Jewelry Box.
The 90s are back and looking better than ever. Choker necklaces have risen and celebrities such as Gigi Hadid, Kendall Jenner and Hailey Baldwin have been straight up rocking them. From thick to thin, there's a choker out there for everyone. This guide on How to Rock a Choker will take your necklace game from drab to fab in seconds. Chokers aren't just for music festivals, concerts, goth girls or Bohemian photoshoots, they're for every occasion and the styling options are endless.
This type of necklace has been worn to Coachella by Vanessa Hudgens and to a banquet in Claridges by Princess Diana. Although chokers are quite simple compared to a pendant or bib necklace, they never fail to make a statement.
There are various types of necklace patterns and details that jewelry designers incorporate to make their chokers stand out from the rest. Whether it's a business casual, night out on the town, formal or casual look you're going for, there's a choker out there waiting to complete your look.
If you're nervous of looking like you came straight out of the 90s with such a vintage accessory, there are numerous ways to fashion it in a very modern manner. From the classic tattoo choker to layering dainty gold chokers, you'll know how to strut one for every event. After reading through this guide, you will be a choker styling expert. You will learn what choker to wear with what outfit, different styling methods and what design to wear for a certain occasion. So, grab a pen, paper and cup of joe and get ready to gain some choker expertise.
How to Wear a Choker to Work
Just because you see people wearing chokers at music festivals, doesn't mean you can't wear them with your tan slacks and baby pink blouse. Chokers can be worn in a sophisticated and business casual way that many may not be aware of. If you're looking for a jewelry piece that is trendy yet work appropriate, go for a neutral colored thick choker necklace. Try and steer away from the chunky jewels and colorful gems if you're going into the office. Velvet or suede chokers look most appealing if you're trying to keep it simple for work. Putting this Black Velvet Choker on with a chic pencil skirt and button up will add the perfect amount of spice to this ensemble. If you're looking for a little more detail, this Pearl Choker and Wire Rings necklace will look so elegant and tasteful as you stroll in with your tote bag and coffee in hand.
Are you looking to further your jewelry making skills and take them to the next level? Try out these DIY designer jewelry patterns and fool your friends into thinking you're wearing the most luxurious jewels and gems out there. 38 Designer DIY Jewelry Patterns
How to Wear a Choker to a Formal Event
Princess Diana was not only a princess, but she was the queen of styling her chokers in such a tasteful and classic manner. With every formal event or banquet she attended, you would always spot a big fat bejeweled choker necklace around her neck. If you have a wedding to attend and aren't sure which jewelry pieces to wear, throw on a choker with creamy pearls or precious stones with your cocktail dress. Because these necklaces are a bit more busy, keep your formal wear neutral.
You want your choker to be the star of the show, like this DIY Statement Suede Wrap Bracelet/Choker Necklace. It has color, statement stones and texture. If you're looking for a less colorful option, try out this Frosty Pearl Choker Necklace that has pearls galore. This necklace is great because you can pair it with any colored dress. Another choker piece that would suit well for a dressier event is this show stopping Wonderful Wire and Pearl Choker. Tip: You want to let your choker necklace do all of the talking and your dress follow its footsteps.
How to Wear a Choker Casually
Casual days are the best days. Make these days a little more stylish by adding a choker to your messy bun sweatpants athleisure look. Choker necklaces are very fitting for a relaxed Sunday morning stroll or if you're lying in bed and just want to look fabulous. You can instantly transform a pair of distressed jeans, plain white tee and leather loafers by layering chain chokers. Stacking chokers is so easy and a trendy jewelry hack. To ensure you don't look like a hot mess, layer jewelry pieces that compliment each other, such as these Charmed DIY Choker necklaces. Taking two or three of these and clasping them around your neck will turn your separate necklaces into a single beautiful one. Mixing fabrics is another way to rock a choker casually. This Lace and Leather DIY Choker is a perfect example. It also includes the stacked and layered look. Two chokers is always better than one.
After creating some of these DIY chokers, dress up your fingers with these:
36 Stunning DIY Ring Patterns
What's your favorite way to wear a choker?
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive, partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
- "Jewelry Making for Beginners: 11 Beginner Jewelry Projects" eBook
- Beginner Beading Tutorials: How to Peyote Stitch, Brick Stitch, Square Stitch and More
- Seed Beads Guide for Beginners
- "Making Beaded Jewelry: 11 Free Seed Bead Patterns and Projects" eBook
- "Easy DIY Bracelet Designs: 14 Ways to Make Bracelets" eBook
- No Sweat Beaded Bracelet
- How to Make Bangles: 36 Bangle Bracelet Tutorials
- Bead Size Chart
- Ear Cuff Earrings: What You Need to Know to Craft a Cuff
- "12 Free Jewelry Projects to Make This Evening" eBook
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Chic Stripes Crystal Bracelet
- Dragonfly Princess DIY Bracelet
- Crystal Waves Woven Bracelet
- Crystal Radiance Bracelet
- Netted Pearl Bracelet
- Cutest Beaded Bezel Rings
- DIY Upcycled Tights Necklace
- DIY Shrink Plastic Rings
- Snowflake Resin Jewelry Tutorial
- Glamorous Long Beaded Necklace
- 10 DIY Earrings, Chain Earrings, Metal Earrings, Wire Earrings, and More
- 12 Free Jewelry Projects to Make This Evening
- DIY Jewelry That Sparkles: 10 Crystal Jewelry Patterns!
- Easy DIY Bracelet Designs: 14 Ways to Make Bracelets
- How to Make a Necklace: 8 Beaded DIY Necklace Ideas
- How to Make a Ring: 9 Dazzling DIY Rings You'll Love
- How to Make Friendship Bracelets: 12 Fun Friendship Bracelet Patterns!
- Jewelry Making for Beginners: 11 Beginner Jewelry Projects
- Mother's Day Jewelry Gifts: 8 Free Jewelry Making Tutorials
- Upcycled Jewelry: 14 DIY Projects from Recycled Materials